Tuesday, August 12, 2008

{Iowa State Fair}


Last night we decided to partake in the grand Iowan tradition of going to the annual state fair! I decided last night, that maybe they should change the name to the "Fried Food Fair"--seriously with all of the crazy things that are fried there...it would be quite fitting! We decided to try the fried cheese curds (delicious) fried dill pickles (my favorite) and fried pork tenderloin! For those of you who aren't familiar with the Iowa state fair--they are pretty famous for frying "anything!" So if fried Oreos or Twinkies sound tempting to you....you just might want to consider coming out next year-- and join us!!!

Steve enjoying his fried dill pickles.....

Hunter's favorite part of the evening, was looking at all of the animals. He loved the pigs the best though! (and boy are those porker's smelly)

One of the things the fair is most famous for-- is the "Butter Cow" which attracts a lot of spectators each year! It is literally a cow that is carved out of real butter! Fascinating ehh??
**These last pics were taken via Steve's cell phone, because the battery on my camera died at the end of the night...(sorry for the poor quality)**


We had such a great time last night--and the weather couldn't have been nicer! (And that is saying a lot being that it is August in Iowa!) So I hope everyone is enjoying this last month of summer--and soaking it all in!

6 comments:

{Erica} said...

i'm sure going last night would've been a better idea for us...we went on saturday and it was packed...seriously FULL and HOT. Fried pickles...i must've missed those...they sound good...man...I won't be here next year to find them *tear*.

gotta love the fair

Anonymous said...

what cute picture and I love your skirt!! I hope Tanner is feeling okay, poor little guy. So how would you rate the fair... is it worth me dealing with my kids there or should I stay home? We went when we first moved here and sadly didn't try any of the "fried" foods, you know me being a picky eater and all =)

Christie Morris Eskelsen said...

Fried pickles! Seriously? How funny. You are so cute in those pics, even from a camera phone the photos look pretty good.

I hope your boys are doing better, it's so sad when they're sick. I'm glad you guys got to go out to the Fair, Scott and I have started doing more fun things like that and it makes a world of difference in the "family atmosphere"

LOOVE the pic of the boys in the stroller!

Mackay Family said...

That butter cow is gross...makes me want to gag! Fun fried foods! Crazy all of the things that people will fry. You guys all looked so cute as always! I love that picture of Hunter and Tanner.

Celeste Adams said...

I was just catching up on my blog reading now that we have the internet. Your boys are so cute and I can't believe Hunter is 9 months. It just seemed like you had him. Well if you guys ever want to come to Michigan for a rotation we would love to have you stay with us. I just remembered, I never had the chance to go to the Iowa State Fair, CRAP!

Jo Ann Anderson said...

We enjoyed the fair yesterday too. We stayed way longer than any other year mostly because the weather was so nice. I never venture into any of the fried fare though (maybe I will have to try). Corn dog and chocolate covered pecan nut roll for me. I'm so impressed you have it posted all ready too.....my pics are still on the camera!