I have had major insomnia and headaches for the past 6 months. I couldn't understand why I felt so tired and irritable during the day time...until a light bulb went on in my head (duh!) Living on 4-5 hrs of sleep a night is not enough for me to function as a good mom/wife/friend during the day time. All of my patience was used up for the day and it was only 9 am....the big stack of laundry that would pile up, the dishes that would my miraculously fill up my sink each day, the long list of bills that needed to be paid, the constant refereeing between my boys, it all got to be beyond overwhelming!
I finally decided that it was time to go the Dr. to see if there was something else going on with me. Thank goodness for Dr.'s who listen and care. I feel very fortunate that my Dr. is such an amazing physician. Turns out nothing was in fact "wrong" with me...I was so desperately hoping that he would find something in my blood work that would explain why I felt like I was losing my mind. Negative. Now I am glad that there wasn't something seriously wrong, but at the time I was looking for a reason to explain the madness.
Then one morning....I picked up the phone and called my mom. As I burst out into tears while explaining to her of all my "woes"--I will never forget what she said to me that day "Annie, sounds like you are experiencing motherhood to its fullest, and it is very normal to feel overwhelmed at times." WHAT??? This is "normal" I said. I guess to hear words of counsel from someone that I regard with such a high esteem and love, to tell me that she remembered all to well being a young mother herself, and having had very similar feelings as I do-- was what it took to "snap" me back into action. There have been other things obviously that needed to change/improve-- like my sleeping habits, but with time that has worked itself out to.
There was one major thing that happened....that truly changed my outlook on being a mom, and that thing is gratitude! What blessings and joy had I missed out on because I was too busy feeling overwhelmed at the very thing that brings me the most happiness and joy in this life. My family. Yes, raising kids is by far the hardest thing I have ever had to do....so far. My eyes literally fill with tears now when I look at Hunter and Tanner because I feel such a deep and unconditional love for them. I am humbled and honored that I was chosen to be their mom. My heart aches for the times that I took for granted the precious moments that I get to share with them everyday.
I know I will have many more days to come, when my patience is gone and the day has just begun, but now I look to find gratitude in all things. The last Conference talk by Elder Wirthlin {"Come what May...and Love It"} is my new motto in life. I am pretty sure that the Morris family has many more challenges ahead, I hope we continue to take each day in stride--and "Love it!"
Today I got to spend the afternoon just "enjoying" my boys! It helps that the weather is much warmer too I think. We went to Raccoon River Park today with some friends and just let the kids run free. It is days like these that make it easy to find gratitide in the small and simple things.
Last week was Dad's Day at Hunter's preschool. Luckily Steve was able to go since he was on night rotations last week, and Hunter couldn't have been more excited to have his dad there. He was so proud to bring his dad to school, and introduce him to all of his friends. Steve said he had one of the best days ever with Hunter and was amazed at how well he is doing in school. They had icecream and cookies for snacks that day, and when Hunter got home, all he could talk about was the special day that was spent with his dad.
15 comments:
I hear ya! Sometimes you do lose sight of what really matters in being a mom! But its these moments that remind and teach us the joys we get to experience! Thanks for sharing your thoughts! Your words are an inspiration to me! Somehow sunny days always make things seem better!
Your mom is right! You are totally normal! I only have Tanner and I often times feel the same way you do! I always trying to take a deep breath and think of how blessed my life is. I don't know what I would do without my Tanner and the rest of my family. Thanks for sharing your thoughts...I know that took a lot of courage to be able to do that! You are a great mom!
Glad that you finally had a nice day to spend outside with your cute boys! Hunter looks like he is on cloud 9 with his dad! So cute!
I love you girl!
Being a mom is REALLY hard work. It is crazy how easy it is to lose sight of the little moments. Some Days I am sure J.D. comes home and thinks who the crap is this INSANE women in my kitchen and why is she so ANGRY. The reason, who knows one doesn't really exist its just, "I NEED A BREAK."
Thanks for the thoughts you are an AWESOME mom. Sounds like you had a great day at Raccoon river. The sunshine makes mothering easier I think. Maybe we should all move to Hawaii. Have a great day.
Thanks for sharing your feelings! It is comforting to me to hear that other Moms experience the same feelings that I have at times. Thanks for reminding me to be grateful for the wonderful life that I have and the amazing babies I am blessed with!
Uh oh, I don't even have kids yet and i feel very overwhelmed by the responsibilities of upkeep on the house and taking care of my husband and puppies. What am I going to do when I add kids in the mix?
Well, reading your blog is certainly an inspiration and I am always admiring how much you do and make those kids lives so rich and wonderful! Whatever you are doing- you are amazing and your kids are SO lucky to have you as their mom!
Love that you did confessions too! I am right there with the grattitude.. it makes each day so much easier when you see all of your blessings. I'm so glad for the oppurtunity to get to know you on here. You are such a wonderful person!
What a great post and I love being reminded that my life is "normal" too. It really does help and to hear it from your mom I bet that was even more uplifting. Raccoon River is always a blast ~ don't you just love Iowa and all the fun parks around here.
It is so good to read your thoughts and to realize that I too am a "normal" mom! I have so many days like that but just as many that are filled with the joys of being a mother as well. I think it's trying to find the balance in life that makes it a little rough sometimes...great post!
I totally understand how you have been feeling - and I also loved that talk! It's so easy to get lost in all of the craziness and forget how wonderful it all is at the same time. I guess we just need to keep reminding each other. Thanks for doing that for me today.
I am so glad to hear that other people have phases like that, I go through them all the time and I only have 1 child! I am glad you are doing better and glad that you were willing to share, it really does make me feel better about the times that I know I am being ungrateful for my child. Get some sleep though!! I could never function on that much sleep, hopefully your headaches are clearing up and you will be feeling better soon!
Totally normal! I think we all have moments where we are completely and totally in love with our children and with all being a mother entails, and others where we are completely overwhelmed to barely being able to function. I think that if it wasn't so hard, it wouldn't be so rewarding, or enjoyable... if that even makes sense. Having good friends and others in the same situation I think makes such a huge difference. I'm so glad you guys were able to get out into the sunshine with some friends! I hope that it's there to stay out there in Iowa! And I don't think Hunter could look any happier to have his dad at preschool with him, so cute.
Thank you for posting that talk from conference. It was just what I needed to hear! And thanks for your post. It's always nice to know that I'm not the only mom to feel that way sometimes.
Annie, I am so glad things are so much better for you guys now. It's so hard having you guys so far away when things aren't going well because I just want to help...and can't.
How cute are your boys though? I am so excited to see them soon and have the cousins play together and share the "simple" moments with you guys again.
Hi Andrea,
It was so good to talk to you too! Thanks for letting me vent.
My email is jodyariggs@yah
oo.com
Love ya
What mother hasn't felt the same at some point along the way. I feel that way most days. If you ever need to talk, you know I am there for you!!! I think you may need some Ambien to help you sleep though. No more late nights with facebook or blogs. You need some sleep!!! Because soon you'll be back working with me and not sleeping at all. I'm very excited for you guys to move back here!!
Post a Comment