Monday, February 28, 2011

{weekend in omaha}

I have been looking forward to this weekend, for quite some time now. We had planned on going to the temple together for awhile--and finally we were able to make it happen. The Winter Quarter's temple is about 2 hrs away from where we live, so it definitely poses a challenge--to make arrangements to attend on a regular basis. But this weekend, we were able to work it out and go, and it was really a wonderful experience. Living outside of Utah, has really made me come to recognize and appreciate how fortunate and blessed we are, to have temples so close by. I believe that Utah is now up to 15 temples (announced or fully operating)-- that is truly unbelievable! So, besides the Winter Quarter's temple that is located in Nebraska, the next closest temple from us is over 3 hrs away in Nauvoo, Illinois. Since living in Iowa, I have definitely grown to have a much greater love and reverence for temples and the dedication of faithful saints who attend regularly.





It had just started to snow, as we headed in for the session.






And by the time we came out, everything was covered in snow. The temple looked so beautiful against the snowy nightfall.




We were able to meet up with our good friends' the Spjut's, and planned it so that each of us could do a session with our spouses', while the other took turns with watching the kids' back at the hotel room. It worked out perfectly! I have gotta say, with 6 kiddos running around in one hotel room for over 7 hrs--they all did awesome.






It helps that they are all such good friends, and a bit silly too I might add!





We made candy bracelets out of pull and peel licorice, fruit loops and gummy lifesavers.



The finished product!


The next morning after breakfast, we all went swimming at the hotel pool.

Hunter and Tanner with their M&M backpacks.

These two boys crack me up. They absolutely love, and I do mean love staying at hotels. They have been so excited all week long, and were especially excited to pack their "over night backpacks" for the trip. We are planning on taking them to Mall of America next month over Spring Break--and Hunter already told me he can't wait until he gets to stay over night in another hotel.

6 comments:

Cassie said...

How fun!!! My Hallie loves staying in hotels too, but so do I!! I love picking it out and doing research so our trip is a success. It's always fun to getaway even if it is just overnight!

Janae said...

Yay for the temple. Sounds like you guys had a great time. Our kids love staying in hotels too. In fact, we stayed in one Friday night (before the funeral) and the girls were sad that we just got up and left in the morning. They were expecting to hang out at the hotel all day. I swear their favorite little trips have been those where we have gotten a nice hotel room and just spent time hanging out, swimming, and such. Glad you guys had a good time and were able to go through the temple!

Mackay Family said...

How fun! Perfect that you have another couple to kid swap with. We are so lucky here in Utah to have so many temples close. Tanner's favorite thing about staying in hotels is jumping on the beds!

Sarah said...

Staying at the same hotel and swapping babysitting with another family is genius! What a fun way to get to the temple. The closest temple to my parent's house is 3 hours away and that's what I grew up with so it seems normal. Living in Utah was amazing, although it doesn't seem too different here since we're really close to the Oakland temple. But other people have to travel a lot farther to it. Anyways, I am so glad you guys were able to go, it's amazing what a difference it makes! :)

Susan said...

I don't know what it is about hotels that are so magical to kids! What a great experience to be able to go do that for and with friends. We Utahns really do take the temples for granted.

Raquel said...

I love the photos of the temple, and of course your cute family! I like your plan to swap with other friends with kid watching, brilliant! You are such a fun mommy!! Your boys and husband are so blessed to have you!