Thursday, April 30, 2009

{storm lake}

Steve had a couple of days off this week (the Dr. he is rotating with was at a conference) so at the last minute we decided to pack our bags and headed to Storm Lake, Iowa. It is located about 3 hrs from where we live, and it has this beautiful lake there. The boys were so excited (mainly Hunter--Tanner was just happy to be along for the ride.) I'm not quite sure why it is, but Hunter thinks staying at a hotel is almost as exciting as Christmas morning. Literally this kid gets so full of energy and excitement that the entire 3 hr drive there he kept asking "Mom, when are we going to be at the hotel?" Really cute at first...but then again it gets a little old after about 10 minutes.



{click to enlarge}

So we did eventually make it to the hotel, and to my great shock and initial disappointment, discovered that the hotel water park was closed for the day. You should have seen the look on Hunter's face when the lady at the front desk informed us that there would be no swimming for him that day. It is a good thing that kids this young can be easily distracted, because believe it or not, the hotel bathtub made for an awesome swimming pool. So we whipped out the boys swimming suits, and made them a great big bubble bath. As you tell from the pictures above....Tanner didn't seem to agree that a bathtub is just as fun as an indoor water park, but it was fun nonetheless.


Thankfully, the weather was perfect while we were there, so we took full advantage of playing outside and enjoyed walking around the lake. They had this really cool padded playground that was right next to our hotel, and the kids had a blast playing there for hours. There was this cute little family of geese that swam right by us, and Steve got this neat picture of them.

{click to enlarge}




That night we watched Hotel for Dogs (hmm... I wonder who picked that movie??) It was so fun to just kick back and relax, and spend time together as a family . As you can see from the picture at the very top, there was a walkout balcony that overlooked the lake from our hotel room. You can bet that my kids thought that was the coolest thing ever!! It has been teetering on the totally stressed out.... to completely overwhelmed meter at our house lately, so this was the perfect little getaway we all needed to take a break from hectic lives and remember what is most important in life......

hotels and bubble baths!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like fun. I bet it was nice to not worry about cleaning up behind yourself for a few days. House selling is always funner when you are out of the house. I haven't been to storm lake yet. It looks like I need to find time to go.

Christie Morris Eskelsen said...

How fun Annie! You guys go on the greatest "vacations!" Love it...you know that when you move back there's no such thing as leaving us behind while you go explore hotels in Utah right?!? :)

Can't wait to catch up with you again...I secretly save my minutes so I can chat with you!

Sartori Fam said...

Sounds like it was a blast! There must be something about 4 year olds and hotels. That seems to be about the only thing that Haven remembers from vacations!

Anonymous said...

Definitely deserve a weekend away and definitely irritating that the pool was closed!!!! Seriously that would have made me want to turn around and come home. I love your pictures... you all look great in them!

Mackay Family said...

Fun weekend getaway! Hunter and his hotel rooms...that makes me laugh. Garrett brother served in Storm Lake for a few months and loved it there. Glad that everyone enjoyed your trip so much! You look so cute!

Sarah said...

So fun! I love that you guys are always up to something so fun with your family. You make me want to go and check in to a hotel, how have I never thought of that before? Such a fun idea.

Scott and Angie said...

Your looking great, as always! Looks like a fun get away!

The Stones said...

Do you know what I love about you? You can take something so simple (like a kid movie and a bubble bath!) and turn it into an adventure. You are always doing the funnest things with your family. You are just such a great example!

And yes, I know funnest isn't a word...