
Ahh.....Twitter! If you happen to live under a rock, you may not have heard this word until now. Why some of us try and figure out what in the heck a "tweet" is--the rest of the cyber world has been twittering away. I had heard about Twitter for quite some time now, and still didn't fully grasp its purpose. Let me explain. First, obviously if you are reading this--you are aware that I have a blog. A way to share my thoughts, pictures, pieces of my life with my family, through a daily/weekly blog post. It is basically my way of keeping in touch with friends and family members. As well as a way to follow other inspiring, creative and talented friends in the blogging universe.
Next, I joined Facebook about a year ago. I am pretty sure everyone knows about Facebook by now. At first I thought this is so lame. Why do I want to "connect" with someone I knew in high school ten years ago that I wasn't even friends with back then? And then there are the "status updates"---oh my can those be entertaining. I am so glad you-- "just got back from the gym and had a killer workout" good to know. I will sleep better tonight knowing that crucial piece of information. But then I have found it to be, as cliche as it sounds....a great social networking of friends and family. For goodness sake my own grandpa is on Facebook. And since most of his older grandchildren are on the site, he can leave a friendly message on our "walls" and really impress us with his modern technological advancements.
It has been fun to keep in touch with past coworkers, friends, and extended family members that I wouldn't normally talk to on a daily/weekly basis. For example, I have a cousin back in Utah whom I adore. I don't get to call/talk to her regularly, so it was so fun when she posted her beautiful dance pics from her Senior Prom this year. In a small way it made me feel "connected" to that moment in her life. It is interesting to see what other's thoughts are, on American Idol this season or what fun plans they have for the weekend. So in a small way, I feel a little more connected and in touch with their day to day lives.
And then came along Twitter. Actually I just found out it has been around for 3 years now. So do I really need one more way to "stay socially networked" to the people around me? With Twitter you only have 140 characters to get out what is on your mind to the masses. I was fascinated not with the aspect of what I could "tweet" but what others had to say. Mainly "famous" people. Oprah is on twitter now. Along with Ellen. The list goes on and on. It can be pretty entertaining, and addicting. SO... I decided I have enough social networks to be a part of for my own good. I also don't really have to time to sit around and see what everyone else in the cyber world is doing. But once in awhile I can indulge myself and see what Ryan Seacrest had for breakfast that morning. Also, there was one more thing that had me fascinated last week, that I have to share. I won't go into the logistics of Twitter but you are able to "message" any of these people at any given time. I don't know what possessed me to do it the other day, I was mostly just curious to see if this person would reply to my question. So I Twittered Karl Rove (pretty random I know, but I had a question for him) Oh and if you don't know who he is--don't worry about it. And to my surprise-- he twittered me back within an hour the response to my question. Maybe one day I will try Oprah, but after that experience with Twitter, I was sold. Little old me in Des Moines Iowa, got Karl Rove to tweet me.
So there you have it. I am on Twitter. If you would like to "follow" me here is the link. http://twitter.com/AndreaMorris21 So join if you want to add Twitter to the list of social networks you are a part of---or don't! But do check out this video below. It is HILARIOUS!!
9 comments:
I love reading your posts. I am not a follower of Twitter yet. Mainly because I don't need to be addicted to one more site. I am already a faithful facebook(er). And I just started this blog thing. I might just have to sign up though just to see what it is all about. It's only been this past week I started to understand what the heck it was.
You are hillarious-the "workout" status thing is so spot on, I was laughing out loud! A gal I know is notorious for that-every update is the latest healthy thing she ate, the way her body feels after her last workout, or what workout she's doing next...SO obnoxious!
I've contemplated joining Twitter, and have all the same thoughts you did...but maybe I'll check it out now!
OK longest comment, but are you LOVING the Hills??
I still don't get it, but then again I am sort of reluctant to catch and ride the technological wave that everyone is currently on. Is it on your computer, or cell phone?
Anyway, I must know: What was your question/ answer from Karl Rove?
I'm trying to figure the whole thing out too and hopefully I can find some peeps I know on there. Seems pretty fun though and a little addicting.
I am not on Twitter yet...you will have to let me know how it is. I don't know if I want to add another thing to my list! I LOVE reading your blog! I can't wait for you to move back to Utah!
I'm not sure I can keep up with one more thing. I am horrible at updating the ones that I'm already on. It kind of seems like facebook. I think for now I'll stick with what I've got. I saw that you follow Derek Hough though. That's awesome!!!!
Haha, that video is hilarious. I am not on twitter, but my 5 year old is! ;) I've thought about it and it's probably inevitable that I will join at some point :)
Ya i really don't get it either. I checked it out a few weeks ago and i haven't got back on since.
I don't know if I need another social connecting network in my life right now, LOL. Although myspace is becoming very boring to me, so maybe I will ditch it altogether and start twittering instead!
Post a Comment