Thursday, July 31, 2008

{cherry filled cookies}


Cherry filled cookies have to be one of my very favorite treats to eat! You don't see them very often in pastry shops or bakeries. So when I found some in one of my favorite pastry shops while in Utah last month....{Shaffer's in Logan} YUM!! The thought occurred to me--why don't I try to make them myself! So after searching for the best recipe I could find...I came up with this one, and tried it out tonight! Really I have to say--the cookies turned out WAY better than I thought they would! So if you have a sweet tooth for cherry filled cookies like me---here is the recipe below!

INGREDIENTS:

1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup sugar
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
3 eggs
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
5 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons buttermilk


FILLING:

Cherry pie filling
{you could also substitute cherry filling for apple or whatever else you like}

In a mixing bowl, cream shortening and sugars. Add eggs, buttermilk and vanilla; mix well. Combine flour, salt and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and chill for 1 hour or until firm.
Divide dough in half. On a floured surface, roll each portion to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a 3in. round cutter. Place half of the circles 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets; top each with a heaping teaspoon of pie filling. Cut slits in the center of top cookie. Seal edges. (use a fork to seal the edges with a border)
Bake at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire racks.


**On a little side note, the release of Breaking Dawn (if you happen to be one of the 2 people in the world that haven't read the Twilight books....read on!)**

Of course everyone else on the planet have been anxiously counting down the days until the 4th and final book in the series comes out August 2!!! Don't you worry, I have my reserved copy, that is waiting for me at Barnes and Noble. In fact when I went in this week to make sure I had my copy set aside for me...I found out that Barnes and Noble at Jordan Creek mall here in Iowa, is having a Twilight themed "Prom" this Friday. They will have music, dancing, and people dressed up in their favorite vampire costume! Is it totally weird that I want to go and take part in all of the Twilight mania???? Pretty sure I can't get Steve to go with me, but this is a once in a lifetime opportunity...........HA! Okay so I am not that obsessed, but I can't wait to read my copy of {Breaking Dawn} all day Saturday-- and find out once and for all, the fate of Bella and Edward! (oh yeah..and I guess Jacob too)

8 comments:

Jo Ann Anderson said...

Welcome back!!! I am assuming that you have returned and are trying to get back on schedule. The cookies look delicious and I will have to give them a try. Hope you had a great trip.

{Erica} said...

I'd so be there with you in a heart beat tonight if I was there.....see you soon!

Anonymous said...

Maybe instead of a movie and dinner I will ditch and go with you! That would be hilarious to go to! I can't wait to get mine!! I can't wait for the movie either! That will totally be a girls night out! We need to get together soon! What are you guys doing next weekend? I will give ya a call this week!

Christie Morris Eskelsen said...

You are such a great Baker! And I am waaay excited about the new book. My cute sisters in AZ ordered the book for me!

I hope getting back to "normal" sleeping in your own bed, and just being alone is treating you guys well. We had you guys come, and then my AZ fam, so Scott and I are enjoying just having it be us again~

Unknown said...

Glad to see you survived that wonderful drive! Okay, so I almost hate to admit it, but I am a total slacker. I have not read any of the Twilight series! But, you know me, when I can buy a book, I buy a cookbook! I guess you are going to have to let me borrow them. See you tomorrow!

Brooke Hargett said...

Andrea! Hey there girl! It's been FOREVER! You are just as beautiful as ever. How do you even search for people on this site? I'm kind of new to the blogging thing but I am a wee bit obsessed....
Your kids are darling! You are such a cute mommy. I'm so glad that we can get back in touch! :)

Shorter family said...

I am sadly as obsessed as you are! Lucky for me, I just started reading them 3 weeks ago, so it was perfect timing for Breaking Dawn! Hope you love it!
-Fajita

Jessica said...

Andrea!!! How fun to hear from you!! I was trying to find you on Jamie's blog (i figured you were on there) but I couldn't remember your last name -- I'm so glad you said hello. Your family is adorable. I am going to add you to my blog list..hope that's cool. oh and Edward, Bella, Jacob...sigh...Dave pre-ordered me the book as well. I need to re-read the other books before though just so I can get the full effect. I'm lame I know. Anyway, this is turning into an email--so glad to see what you have been up to. Lets keep in touch.