Sunday, December 7, 2008

{blah!}


I'm not going to lie.....it hasn't been the greatest week at the Morris house. Ear infections and a bad case of croup pretty much sums it up. Poor Tanner has had it the worst, and the arctic Iowa temp. that rolled in this week, hasn't really helped too much either. Every year at this time, I think to myself....NO!!!! Not another freezing, bone chilling, windy, icestormy (is that a real word??) Winter! But it has come upon us. And then I ask myself--why does it seem like my kids are sick all winter long???

My kids share a room. And oh how I wished that it wasn' t the case. I shared a room with my sister until I was almost 17--can you believe it!! If we made it through Jr. High and High School years together and managed not to kill each other-- then we pretty much can overcome anything!! (good times sister, good times) haha! So obviously my parents seemed to be fine and dandy with all of us kids sharing rooms together growing up--so then what's my problem??

I will tell you. Tanner is over a year old now--so I think we have had more than enough time to adjust and get used to the boys sharing a room. At first it was tricky trying to get them both to bed at night, without one of them waking the other one up. It took a lot of patience (which happens to run very low at the end of a long day.) And many nights of Steve and I taking turns sitting in their room to "monitor." But eventually we came up with a brilliant way to get them to bed each night, with very little trouble. So that problem is solved at least for now. So now on to problem two. The current situation, involes a party in Hunter and Tanner's room every night at 4 am. Yep-- every night the boys wake up, turn on the lights, jump up and down, and party like its 1999. Every night this past week, the "party" has taken place. The only difference has been an occasional 2am or 3am time change--just to keep things interesting!!

So right now, I am at a total loss on how to fix this current problem, that only seems to occur when siblings share a room. I have never been one to have my kids sleep in our bed at night. First of all, its a Queen sized bed. (Not meant for >2 occupants) And in my opinion, not a great habit to have the kids get accustomed to. So what it has come to now, is that none of us get any sleep. I have to take Hunter out of the room, so Tanner can eventually fall back asleep (which I've come to learn... can take awhile.) So then I am stuck with a wired 3 yd old all to myself at 4am. AHH! Steve has to be up at 5:30- 6am for rotations, so he can't very well be up with him. I would be fine and not complaining so much if it hadn't happened every night this past week. I swear this is so much worse than adjusting to a newborn baby. Trust me, I've had two of them so I know the meaning of-- sleep deprivation. I know there isn't really anything to do--but if anyone out there has had a similar situation with their kids, I am very open to suggestions. And NO we don't give our kids a great big diet coke and tons of sugar right before they go to bed--so that's not the problem.

I won't end on a completely negative note. I honestly feel bad even complaining about this. But wow has it been one crappy week. Things are looking better already in the "sick department" at our house. (Tanner is getting his "sparkle" back, so don't worry dad.) But if I can just figure out a way to get more than 4 hrs of sleep at night, and put an end to the late night partying going on next door--then I'll be good to go. So, because I have been cooped up all week with sick boys, and the weather being so cold, I was really craving some delicious homemade buttery rolls. I have never made "homemade" rolls in my life, and figured now was as good of a time as any to give it a try. So thanks Brittany for posting such an awesome recipe. They were D.I.V.I.N.E!!

14 comments:

Christie Morris Eskelsen said...

Annie I am so sorry! I can totally sympathize with you with the "no sleeping" things are just barely getting better at our house too.

I am so sorry to admit that I have no advice to give you, Carter was the worst sleeper in the world and I had to fight with him until he was like a year and a half...so that fact that they've been good so far is amazing to me!

Good luck and I'll be calling you later this week to chat.

Debbi said...

yay, I hear you on a lot of the complaints, Gage and Noah have shared a room since Noah was 5 weeks old. Sometimes it gets old when they wake each other up, really old, but I shared a room and I think it was good too.

I wish I had an answer - Sometimes one of us sleeps in their room with them, but I had to laugh at the 1999 party going on at your house at 4am...and the Diet coke comment...so funny! It seems like a lot of boys I know wake up early - what's up with that, where's the love for their sleepy moms?

Debbi said...

Oh, and we love your elves, we did some last year, but this year's are new, and you guys had Wade cracking up! funny!

Brittany said...

I shared a room with my twin sister my whole life (even after we left home and were in college we were room mates) and I mostly loved it! We stayed up talking to each other late almost every night (unless we were fighting and there was a line of tape down the middle of the room). Our parents were constantly trying to shut us up so we'd go to sleep- but I don't remember having any 1999 parties! That is hilarious. I guess it's different when you're the parent- Good luck! I'm glad you tried and liked the rolls!

Megan and Shawn said...

Yummo! Those look awesome! Yes we were all so sad that you guys couldn't come, and I'm even more sad to see that your kids were so sick. As for the sharing the same room situation, um ... I don't know, but that is so funny that they are coherent enough to party at 2 a.m. Sam is usually comatose even if he does wake up. Good luck.

Sarah said...

Oh you poor girl! I feel your pain. The girls are sharing a room and have ever since Katie was 6 weeks old. They wake each other up all the time and it drives me crazy. We just keep putting them back in their beds, have you read supernanny? I love her. We totally use her "back to bed" routine. Unfortunately it doesn't stop the waking up in the middle of the night. The worst is when one wakes up from a bad dream, or being sick or something and then wakes the other one up so you have twice the problem. Ugh. I wish I had a solution too!

At least those rolls look absolutely divine! There is one good thing about being housebound!

Mackay Family said...

I am so sorry! Both for sick kids and for them waking up like that!! I have no help or even ideas for you! The pic of you and Tanner is precious.

Those rolls look delicious! I might have to make them!

Anonymous said...

Sorry you had such a terrible week. How unfun! The no sleeping issue would make me crazy. I can't imagine sick kids on top of that. Hope all gets back to normal for you very soon.
Those rolls look amazing. I need the recipe. The food on her site looks so delicious!

Unknown said...

That sucks! I hope you are all feeling better! Those rolls look SO yummy!!!

Jamie said...

I do remember crib parties and now they talk to each other from their rooms. I am so grateful they are still in their cribs(although Bryson can climb out). Hopefully they will become better sleepers. I think mine sleep well because they were always used to hearing each other and would sleep right through. Hope you are having a better week. Love, Jamie

Debbi said...

Ok, I keep thinking about your post and the room thing, I have to say, it has gotten easier in the past 6, even 3 months the older Noah has got. I LOVE waking up each morning, I hear them waking up (hopefully not at 4am, cross your fingers) and saying, "Hi Gage, or Hi Noah" and then they get out of bed and play for a while. I love it. I hope it will get better and better with the older they get - but the sick thing, I just don't know how to avoid. I hope everyone is feeling better this week.

Chris & Missy said...

So are ya letting me know what I have to look forward in a few years? J/K All I can say is that I am sorry and that has to be frusterating!! Good luck.

Scott and Angie said...

All I can say is I hate having sick kids, so I truly feel for you! It can really be ruff! Good things are getting better! That picture is so cute but sad, you both look so tired! By the way i got the christmas card today, very cute!

Anonymous said...

Love that picture of you and Tanner, but sorry he wasn't feeling well. I think Chuck E Cheese sounds fun! My kids love going there... what about Friday or do you think it will be packed? Can't wait to tell you my lovely story about my trip...WOW! Talk to you soon!