Sunday, February 8, 2009

{dragon chocolate cake anyone????}


A cake so special it deserves its own post!
Don't let the pictures deceive you...this isn't your average chocolate birthday cake. First of all, Steve's grandmother is famous for her homemade chocolate-y delicious fudge cake. I had never attempted to make this infamous cake before until today! Every year as a child and even as an adult Steve always had this cake for his birthday each year. So today we made a dragon chocolate fudge cake!


I won't even pretend that I was the one who "designed" the dragon you see before you! That would be the ever so clever and OCD husband of mine--Steve! Hunter got a huge kick out of watching his dad create a fire breathing dragon right before his eyes. It was a lot of fun--and a great ending to a wonderful weekend filled with good friends and some dang good chocolate cake!

Here is the delicious recipe if you would like to make your own: (fire breathing dragon optional)

Fudge Cake:
2 c. flour
2 c. sugar
1/2 t. salt
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. baking soda
{set aside}

1 c. butter
1 c. water
3 T. Hershey's cocoa
{bring to a boil}

2 eggs beaten
1/2 c. buttermilk
1 t. vanilla
{add to flour and boiled mixture}

Combine all ingredients together in electric mixer
Bake @ 350 degrees for 20 min.

Frosting:
1/2 c. butter
4 T. Hershey's cocoa
8 T. milk
{bring to a boil}
1 pk powder sugar
1 t. vanilla
{mix all together}

Enjoy!

10 comments:

Christie Morris Eskelsen said...

Annie you are so brave! Poor Scott will NEVER get a cake that nice coming from me! :) Maybe I'll take the recipe and use "my" ingredients and can taste what this infamous cake is actually like!

I'm so calling you tomorrow...so be ready! :)

Scott and Angie said...

Yummy! I have to say that is some skill steve has!

Chris & Missy said...

That cake sounds yummy!! I think that I will make it today! (To cheer us up from this crappy white stuff falling from the sky! Oh ya, tell Steve Happy Birthday for me! And, that I am impressed with his mad dragon decorating skills. Can he do a princess for me on Morgan's birthday? :)

Sarah Hastings said...

Thanks so much for posting the recipe, it looks devine! I am truly impressed with the dragon, Steve should drop out of medical school and become a cake decorator!

Shane and Jill said...

Yum, I think Im gunna make some tonight!

Megan and Shawn said...

Wow that looks sooo good! And the dragon only adds to it. Thanks for the great recipe and Happy Birthday Steve.

Sarah said...

I LOVE chocolate cake! Thanks for posting the recipe, I am totally going to try it! :) The dragon is awesome, I am totally impressed!

Mackay Family said...

That is an awesome looking cake! Good job Steve. I am going to have to try and make that delicious cake for my husband. Chocolate is his favorite!

Anonymous said...

The cake sounds delicious. The dragon is awesome. What a talented family you have. Whenever I try to decorate a cake I end up wishing I would have just bought it.

Jamie said...

Yummy! I'm gonna try it!