Thursday, November 11, 2010

{be still my soul}



This song has been on my mind for the past few weeks. The words to this hymn, seem to pop into my head every time I find myself feeling overwhelmed or stressed out. I am thankful for the "stillness it brings to my soul." Very recently in my life--I have found that when I tune out all of the "noise" around me--and really focus on 'being still'--in those quiet moments of peace I have found the answers to my prayers. I came across this YouTube clip of David Archuleta-- singing it in a church meeting....and if you take a minute to listen to him sing these beautiful words- my hope is that it leaves you feeling as uplifted and inspired as it did for me.


1. Be still, my soul: The Lord is on thy side; With patience bear thy cross of grief or pain. Leave to thy God to order and provide; In ev'ry change the faithful will remain. Be still, my soul: Thy best, thy heav'nly Friend. Thru thorny ways leads to a joyful end.


2. Be still, my soul: Thy God doth undertake. To guide the future as he has the past. Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake; All now mysterious shall be bright at last. Be still, my soul: The waves and winds still know. His voice who ruled them while he dwelt below.


3. Be still, my soul: The hour is hast'ning on. When we shall be forever with the Lord, When disappointment, grief, and fear are gone. Sorrow forgot, love's purest joys restored. Be still, my soul: When change and tears are past, All safe and blessed we shall meet at last.







With Thanksgiving approaching in a few weeks...I find myself contemplating the things in my own life--that I have gratitude for! The list is great. When I pause to take a step back, and reflect on the many blessings that abound all around me--there is much to be grateful for. Last Sunday I took this picture of Hunter after we got home from church. This little photograph is a reminder to me of the small and simple things that bring me great happiness. His sweet little smile and new dress tie--brought a few motherly tears to my eyes that day. My little boy is growing up.



Yes, life is full of many ups and downs. It seems like each new week that passes, brings forth a new challenge for us to overcome. Some days I feel up for the challenge--and other times...I most definitely do not! What gives me comfort-- is the knowledge that even though I am far from perfect--I am doing the best I can in all aspects of my life. Some days I succeed--other days I fail, but no matter what I keep striving to do better each day! And "come what may...." I truly believe that "Be Still My Soul" is what has helped me overcome those "other days."

3 comments:

Susan said...

Thank you for that sweet reminder. I love that song. I have to ask though, who was taping in a church meeting? Looks like they were trying to be secret about it.

Sarah said...

Hunter in his tie is too cute for words. What a handsome little man! That is such a beautiful song, it is one of my favorites and it really is such a good reminder of what we really need to be doing. You are definitely doing better than you think you are, Andrea! :)

Christie Morris Eskelsen said...

That was such a nice post Annie. It's true, and I love that it helped inspire you...but I also love that it will probably help someone else out too! :) We miss you guys so much, and seriously this Thanksgiving isn't going to be the same. :(