Saturday, December 24, 2011

{updates from a sickly clan}



Well, the last few weeks have been interesting to say the least. How is it that December seems to be the shortest month of the year? It always goes by in a flash, and I am left wondering where did all the time go?? The past two weeks have been eventful, but not always in the most positive way. It seems this month we have not been too lucky when it comes to good health.

It started with Tanner catching a horrible virus that lasted about 5 days. He had extremely high fevers, was lethargic, achy, and very cranky. He was not a happy little boy during that time. Then just at the very tail end of his sickness--then came Steve's big "fall."

Steve had the poor misfortune of slipping on the steps in our garage while taking out the garbage about 2 weeks ago--and fell hard (twice) on his tailbone. At first the pain was so intense and excruciating, that he couldn't move for quite awhile. He was pretty miserable, and in a lot of pain. The next morning, he went to work and had an x-ray done and sure enough, he broke his coccyx. Sadly, there isn't really anything you can do for a broken tailbone, but just push through the pain, and pray that it heals quickly. So, in the meantime his newly acquired best friend is pictured below.


Then this week arrived. I had been really looking forward to attending Tanner's preschool singing program and Hunter's Winter class party at school for a long time. Tanner has been my awesome little singer since he was a little boy. He loves to move and shake to music and sing songs. So needless to say, he has been really excited for his singing program. Well, the morning of the program arrived. And tragically Tanner came down with yet again, another sickness. This time it was the stomach bug. Sad for him and us--it didn't present itself until we got all the way to the school and he was literally seconds from walking on to the stage. While he was standing in line, getting ready to head into the chapel and perform--he threw up everywhere in the hallway. I felt horrible! His sweet little heart was broken, and he cried the whole way home saying "But mommy, I wanted to sing my song!"







Then to make matters worse, I had been put in charge of Hunter's Winter party at school, and had bought all of the supplies for the craft and activity later that afternoon. I knew that Hunter would be really disappointed that I wouldn't be able to make it that day, but I knew I had no other choice but to call his teacher, tell her what had happened, and drop off the supplies so the party could continue on. The whole day was a bust!



I felt kind of sorry for myself that day, thinking really why did this have to happen 3 days before Christmas? I had visions of our whole family coming down with the stomach flu on Christmas morning, and how the whole day would be ruined. But as I sat there for awhile and contemplated recent events--thankfully I was humbled, and began to see how ungrateful and selfish I was being. I have been talking to my children all month long about the true meaning of Christmas, and how we should be focusing on the birth of our Savior Jesus Christ and the spirit of the season. Giving thanks for all of our many blessings, serving and giving to others. And here it was that it was me that needed to follow my own counsel. I am so thankful for a loving Heavenly Father, who has unconditional love and patience with me for my many, many faults and imperfections. This Christmas season, I have much to be thankful for....


Above all--- my Savior, my Redeemer my brother Jesus Christ.

Happy Holidays to all, and may your Christmas be...


Merry and Bright!

No comments: