Thursday, January 15, 2009

{umm yeah....it's cold outside}

I have seen this cartoon many times since living here in Iowa--but today has given it a whole new meaning!! They cancelled Hunter's school this morning because it is so cold--so I am not just overstating here---it is freaking cold!!!! Right now the actual temp is -17 outside...with the "high" of the day expected to reach a whopping -5. Awesome!!! Now the windchill factor is a whole other story---for those of you who aren't familiar with living in a humid environment (clarification: this isn't Florida people...it is Iowa. Why it is humid in the Midwest is forever a mystery to me, but just take my word for it, it is humid here.) So when they say "feels like" temps will reach -20s and -30s today-- that takes into account the "wind chill" factor (aka humidity and moisture in the air.) So yeah...it's a cold day!

Now on a day like today, I wouldn't normally even attempt to leave my house--but I got to experience first hand, bright and early this morning (and by bright and early I mean 4:30 am) when I took Steve and Tanner to the airport. All I can say is thank goodness for my garage, but holy crap was is bitter cold. When you walk outside it feels like an icy cold hand slapped you in the face, and that is just the wind saying hello. And then there comes the loss of feeling in your hands and feet. It's not pleasant. So today we will most definitely be hanging out indoors. I already miss my two boys, and they just left. Since Steve had 2 weeks of "vacation" from his rotations, his parents flew him out to UT for 8 days (and since Tanner still flies for free--he hitched a ride too.) So it looks like it's just me and my little buddy Hunter left to brave the cold. I think we will be hanging out in our PJ's all day, sipping on some hot chocolate, watching Harry Potter, and desperately hoping for warmer days to come.............

13 comments:

allison said...

okay now I really don't want to come home, I am ready to be in my house again but don't want the cold. We have been watching it freeze over there while we have warm weather and are playing outside without coats on.
Hope all is going good and we will see you in about a week.

Megan and Shawn said...

Amen to the freezin' cold being something that you can only understand once you experience it. Have fun with Hunter, that would a fun to hang out with just one of the boys for a few days.

Summer said...

Oh my gosh Annie, that is just plain nuts! I guess I won't complain about how cold I've been or about my stupid heating bill because it's nothing compared to what you have to deal with. Yuck!!

Debbi said...

argh, I'm sorry! Yah, so Gage is outside playing in the backyard with a jacket on right now - just a jacket. sorry sorry sorry! I hope you will have fun with Hunter, I agree with Megan, it's always fun when you get to spend one on one time with one kid.

It always amazed me how crazy cold it gets there and that the pioneers lived in little shacks of houses that one winter in Nauvoo when the whole river froze over, it really makes you appreicate your house and heater - and I think since I've lived there I have a much deeper appreciation for what they went through, before I always though - yeah, that would be cold, but now I know!

Anonymous said...

My kids were out today and they didn't even want to step outside it's soooo cold. So it is a 4 day weekend with 5 kids indoors. All I can say is thank goodness for the WII!

Azure said...

That's terrible. I thought that it got cold here. I guess I have no idea!!! I hope that you stay warm and enjoy your PJ day!!

Mackay Family said...

That is SO cold! I thought that it was bad here...Have a fun day in your PJ's hanging out! That is fun that both of you get 1 on 1 time with your boys!

Sarah said...

Brrrrrr! Reading your description of the cold totally reminds me of my childhood in Canada, so crazy cold! I think you really just can't understand it unless you've lived it, or not been able to go outside because any exposed skin will get frostbite in less than a minute. Oh, I don't miss that!!! Hang in there and enjoy all of your yummy hot chocolate. I always bake a ton when it's so cold to have yummy warm things to eat out of the oven, and have my oven help warm up the house! Have fun with just one kid at home! :)

Chris & Missy said...

Buurrrrr!! I remember one trip that our family went on a few winter's ago. We went to Montana to go snow mobiling and we had to get an early start, the temperature was -14 and any ounce of exposed skin felt like it was instanly frost bitten!! There was even frost on the inside of my parents car!! I have never experienced a winter with humidity, it sounds very awful. But I'm sure that I soon will experience it since my sis is moving to Pittsburgh!

The Halls said...

I know its CRAZY!!!! Right I hope you and Hunter Boy!! Have fun and we expect to see you soon!!

Unknown said...

Cold weather completely sucks! And I thought it was cold here! So, I hear you're moving back pretty soon. How exciting!!!

Brooke said...

I could not even imagine it being that cold! I hate Utah's winters, I know I couldn't do it there! Good luck, and stay warm!!

Christie Morris Eskelsen said...

Annie your Tanner Bug is the cutest one year old around! Seriously...he's so adorable. I can totally tell he wants his mamma and he always lays by the frame with the the pics of the cousins we gave the morris' last year (it's the one still on the floor) I know it's because he's looking at his brother.

We've been having so much fun with him!