Tuesday, June 2, 2009

{try it tuesday}

I thought it would be fun to begin a regular try it tuesday post here on my blog. Whether it be a fun recipe that I just tried out, or a cool new nail polish that I am lovin' at the moment-- you can check it out here! Ahh...the possibilities are endless. So, I will post something (hopefully) interesting and fun here every Tuesday, that maybe YOU just might want to try out........

This week, I have a really good recipe for Turkey Pot Pie. At least once a month I buy one of those frozen turkey breasts and let it cook in my crock pot all day long. My kids love turkey and so do Steve and I--but there is still so much leftover the next day, (and that is even accounting for the turkey sandwiches that we all have the next day for lunch.) I had never made a turkey pot pie before, and of course you can substitute chicken if you prefer, but I don't ever usually have enough left over chicken to make anything with the next day. So after finding the perfect recipe that didn't call for a can of cream of chicken soup-- I got one from Steve's mom that turned out excellent! Even Hunter loved it, which surprised me--but this tasty meal is the perfect solution to using leftovers and turning them into something even better than the original.

{The finished product--DELISH}


**Turkey Pot Pie**

Ingredients:

2 cups cooked turkey cut into small pieces

1 potato cubed into bite sized pieces

3 celery sticks cut up

2 green onions cut up

1/4 cup baby carrots cut up into small pieces

3/4 cup milk

3/4 cup chicken broth

4 T. butter

4 T. flour

**green peas if desired.

(Gag! I hate peas so of course I didn't add them to mine, but if you want to ruin a perfectly good recipe-- go ahead and add them.)


Seasonings:

to taste add 1 tsp salt

1/4 tsp thyme, 1/8 tsp pepper

1/2 tsp rosemary, 1/2 tsp oregano

1/4 tsp garlic powder

Directions:

In a large sauce pan, add butter flour, milk and chicken broth. Bring to a slower simmer for about 2 min. let it gradually thicken. Add additional flour/milk/broth to thicken up as needed.

"Lightly" cook/steam the vegetable beforehand. I cut up the potatoes, celery, carrots, and green onions, and let them simmer in about 3 T. of butter to soften them.

Then add the turkey, vegetables and seasonings into the hot mixture.

Now you can either make your own pie crust, which in the past I have done before, but I didn't have the time or the patience last night to do one. If you find yourself in a similar situation, the only pre made pie crust I recommend is this one. And to be honest, I couldn't even tell that big of a difference when it was made for a pot pie. (other pies on the other hand...I think it is a must to have a homemade crust for them to be as good)
Bake @350 degrees for 30-40 mins. or until the top crust is golden brown. And the most important part is to.....

Enjoy!

**My last "try it" recommendations are 2 movies**

Seventeen Again

I just might have a small crush on Zac Efron after watching this movie. So funny and the dude can actually act. Just wait until it comes out on DVD in a few months--you will love it. Super cheesy...but oh so funny!

Henry Poole is Here


What a pleasant surprise this movie turned out to be. First of all, I love Luke Wilson, so I was pretty sure that this would be a movie that I would like. I won't give anything away, but it has a really touching message. A bit of a tear jerker, but well worth your time as a Friday night DVD rental.

8 comments:

{Erica} said...

Henry poole is here is one of my favorite flicks i've seen in the recent past. Such a great movie.

love your regular posting idea...can't wait to see what you want us to try next :)

Megan and Shawn said...

I second the Zac Efron crush - I went to the show with my sister and sister in law, we all left with a little heart throb for him. The turkey pot pie looks awesome!! Can't wait to get Super with you tomorrow!

Kiera said...

I have never heard of the Luke Wilson movie. I will check it out. I still need to see Seventeen Again. I don't have a movie buddy. So maybe when you get moved back here you can go with me to movies. Miss you and can't wait to see you!! Only a few more months. We will have a big party.

Mackay Family said...

I have never ever heard of Henry Poole, but I love Owen Wilson so I am going to have to watch it. That turkey pot pie looks yummy! I might have to try and make it. Your try it Tuesday idea is cute. Can't wait to hear what other clever ideas and things you have up your sleeve!

Unknown said...

What a fun idea! I third the Zac Efron deal, but I might agree with this guy's theory about Edward in Twilight (this is the blog-)(http://mormonhusbands.blogspot.com/2009/04/midnight-sun-edward-undone.html) and it might apply to Zac in Seventeen Again:) Are you going to the reunion?:)

Jamie said...

You little domestic lady you! Looks yummy and something i would dare not attempt! So fun talking to you-we could seriously talk for hours-we'll just have to do it over dessert in August! Love you!

Scott and Angie said...

Good idea, you pie looks great, i think i might try it. Scott would be shocked, i have NEVER made anything like that, i am so not a cooker!

Christie Morris Eskelsen said...

Annie you are so creative! I will so be trying out the pot pie recipe. Just FYI, I'm so counting on a few of your fun recipes to make their way to my home when you move home! :)

It's only a matter of time..I'm trying to keep this little baby in...but I'm thinking sooner than later you'll be an aunt of TWO!