Wednesday, January 9, 2013

{enjoy the show}






“Anyone who imagines that bliss is normal is going to waste a lot of time running around shouting that he’s been robbed. The fact is that most putts don’t drop, most beef is tough, most children grow up to just be people, most successful marriages require a high degree of mutual toleration, most jobs are more often dull than otherwise. Life is like an old time rail journey…delays…sidetracks, smoke, dust, cinders and jolts, interspersed only occasionally by beautiful vistas and thrilling burst of speed. The trick is to thank the Lord for letting you have the ride.”

Pres. Gordon B. Hinckley





My dad had that quote pinned up on his wall in his office many years ago. I remember looking at it one day (roughly 6 years ago) and and thinking "Hmm, seems kind of depressing!" I thought life was supposed to be mostly filled with the beautiful vistas and thrilling bursts of speed more often than the other things stated in that quote. And for some people out there, that very well may be the case. But, I have found over the years that Pres. Hinckley's message in that quote is actually quite accurate. Most of our time here on this earth is spent struggling, learning, growing, expanding, overcoming and understanding life's many challenges. And yes, there are in fact many moments that are overfilled with joy and great happiness. But just as our dear Prophet stated at the very end of this quote.....the trick is to thank the Lord for letting you take the ride.

A few of my beautiful vistas are pictured above. And so many more that cannot be numbered are almost everywhere around me if I take the time to look. Then why at times is it so hard to take note of all of the many blessings that surround us daily, and instead focus on the delays, sidetracks, smoke and dust??? I wish I knew a better answer to that question, but honestly I don't. What I do know is that I am really striving to enjoy the show! One of my favorite movies is Moneyball, which is surprising because I really don't care too much for baseball. But there is a song in that movie that I listen to often because the words go straight through to my heart, and explain perfectly and quite simply how I feel right now.




As I have pondered over these things today, a little light bulb went off in my head as I was sitting in a Walmart parking lot (of all places to be, oh geez!) It was something that I have thought about many times before, but this time I felt a very strong impression to.......

simplify in the year 2013


There is enough chaos going on all around me with life, kids, residency, finances, family, friends, schedules, church callings, housework, social obligations, texting, facebook updates, exercise routines, graduation in May, jobs, moving again....the list could go on and on. But the point is, really this life comes jam packed with so much 'stuff' and it's very easy to get lost or trapped underneath the weight of all that 'stuff' and forget to enjoy the ride and take joy in those beautiful vistas from time to time. 

1 comment:

Zac said...

I really liked reading this sister.. it's rather profound! Kinda makes me reflect a bit on my life and perspective. Love ya!